It is spring, well at least it feels like it today!
The regular council meeting was held on February 22, 2017. Here are a few highlights:
• Council approved a letter of support for YASTA to apply for hosting the Canadian Cross Country Championships for 2019- 2022
• We approved the first reading of the Tax Reduction By Law
The purpose of this By-Law is to provide a reduction of taxes to nonprofit community, charitable, fraternal, educational, recreational, religious, cultural or sporting organization if, in the opinion of council, the organization provides a service that might otherwise be a responsibility of the council as allowed under Section 71(1) of the Municipal Government Act.
South Ohio Community Centre property acquisition is to be added
There were two housekeeping items of name changes.
• We approved the Low Income Reduction Policy L068-09
The purpose of this Policy is to provide partial tax relief of current taxes on primary residences for low income property owners as permitted under Section 69 of the Municipal Government Act
• We approved the Baby/Family Friendly Policy B-032-17
MODY acknowledges that under the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act women have the right to breastfeed any place in public. MODY supports breastfeeding mothers to breastfeed within Municipal facilities and will provide the conditions (time, space and support) necessary to facilitate breastfeeding by both the public and employees.
• We approved of the changes in the Western Regional Economic Network funding allocations
• Grant requests will be heard during our budgetary meeting
• We have a number of properties that have come up for tax sale which haven’t sold. Since we have no use for these properties we approved that our financial officer put them up for sale via tender
I was please to see that a slippery road hazard sign was erected in Sandford near the boat builders. The shoulder will repaired as soon as the ground thaws. Thanks Don Houston of T.I.R.
I have been in touch with local businesses in the Port Maitland area to check for interest in erecting a group sign on the #1 Highway. S0 far, we have 7 businesses that are interested!! If you are a business and want to find out more, send me a message.
I have suggested that the Port Maitland sidewalk continues on the other side of the school as recommended by a constituent. Will continue to pursue.
Please let me know if you would like me to attend a meeting or event!!
Best regards to all and please share this website with your neighbours!